Earlier this year, the Ann Arbor Rotary Club Board requested that the Survey Committee experiment with short monthly surveys on member engagement and related topics starting in 2018. The January “flash survey” was sent to members via Survey Monkey on 1/10/18, and the survey closed 1/20/18. It asked two questions:
- What was the most important reason why you joined Rotary?
- Why have you continued to maintain your membership in Rotary?
- Of 317 email requests, 6 emails bounced, and 161 responded as of January 20, 2017 (52% response)
- Majority of responses (71%, N=114) occurred < 3 days of the first announcement; 33 additional responses received day reminder was sent
- Approximately half responded that their most important reason why they joined Rotary and why they continued their membership was to engage with members of their community at large.
- About a third responded that participating in local/regional community service was their most important reason for joining Rotary and continuing their membership.
After March 2018, the Survey Committee and Board will evaluate whether it makes sense to continue this approach or revert back to the traditional, one survey per year.