To build on the momentum created by the successful World Peace Conference 2017, and to extend its reach, the RCAA Peace Committee was established in 2018.
Our mission is to work locally and globally for peace, social justice, and the non-violent resolution of conflict. To begin accomplishing some far-reaching goals, a 2018-2019 Action Plan was created. It is divided into efforts relating to:
- Our Club
- Our Community
- Our Region (A “Tri-Rotary” Peace Initiative with Windsor, Detroit, and Ann Arbor area Clubs)
- Our World Through Rotary International
Utilizing funds remaining from the 2017 conference we have thus far been able to:
- Co-sponsor a Peace in the Streets conference held April 20-21, 2018 at Wayne State University
- Commit financial and planning support for the October 2019 Peace in the Streets conference
- Help local student Madison Vorva receive a Rotary Global Grant Scholarship funding her Masters program at Cambridge University in the U.K.
- Sponsor a speaker at the Yale Indigenous People’s Pow Wow
- Donate to the RAG for Peace (Rotarian Action Group), to help them further their peace building goals
See updates from the Peace Committee in ‘The Peace Piece’ here.
You are invited to participate! We need willing hands to bring our many ideas to fruition. This committee is open to Rotarians and non-Rotarians alike. If you’d like to join us, or to be on our mailing list and stay apprised of what we’re doing, please contact Marcia Lane at firstname.lastname@example.org
Join us at Peace in the Streets 2019! Learn more and register here.
Did You Know?
Promoting Peace is listed as the Number 1 Cause on Rotary International’s website. It’s fair to say that everything that Rotary does, from Polio eradication to a universal access playground, to designing homes for the homeless, helps promote peace.
See below links to other important Peace Committee information and projects:
World Peace Conference 2017: