Harpoon for the Week of July 5, 2017
Wednesday’s Luncheon Meeting will be in the
Possible Spam email to Members
Michigan Union’s Anderson Room
A message with the subject line: “Rotary Club of Ann Arbor Member Notice” is not from Rotary. Please ignore or delete
Reset and Re-Engage: Achieving “Service Above Self” by “Fun Through Service”
As he assumes the presidency of The Rotary Club of Ann Arbor in July, 2017, John Ackenhusen plans to focus on:
- Increasing membership engagement through exciting and diverse meetings and service opportunities;
- Enabling the particular passions of each member for service, by learning of those passions and mapping them to Rotary needs; and
- Sustaining the charitable finances of our club by increasing the club endowment to cause it to contribute more to our projects and by increasing our support of the Rotary Foundation.
Inspirational Speaker: Art Holst
Greeters: Tom Wright & JoAnn Barrett
Attendance: Rob VanRenterghem & Mary Avrakotos
Upcoming Meetings and Events
- July l5 (Sat): Rotary Leadership Institute training seminar, Holiday Inn, 3600 Plymouth Rd., Ann Arbor, $84. Contact Dan Romanchik or visit rligreatlakes.org for more info.
- August 24 (Thurs): Rollin’ on the Detroit River (see article below)
- Sept 11 (Mon): Golf & Tennis Outing, Travis Pointe Country Club
- Sept 17 (Sun): Playscape Grand Opening, Chuck Blackmer
- Sept 23 (Sat): One Rotary Summit in Troy (details later at www.rotary6380.org)
- Oct 11 (Wed): New member induction and orientation
Notes of Interest
- The Club’s active membership on May 31 was 320 Active Members plus six Honorary members and eight Inactive Emeriti.
- The Club’s attendance for April’s four meetings was 35%. The average attendance was 99 members and our engagement ratio was 70%.
- The Club’s Endowment Investment market value was $1,917,177.27.
To read a more complete summary, click here.
Does your committee need some help? Let us list it here. Send your listing to Dan Romanchik, email@example.com.
- Harpoon Staff
One or more volunteers are sought to assemble the Harpoon template each Friday. It takes an hour or so of easy work. This draft is then provided to others who actually format it and post it on the website. Agnes Reading has been doing this invaluable function for several years, and she needs a break. Contact Agnes for more information.
Notes from the Meeting
- July 6: Silvia Pedraza, Bob Swistock
- July 7: JoAnn Barrett
- July 8: Lolita Nunn
- July 9: Jack Henke, Missy Stricherz
- July 10: Scott Westerman
- July 11: Terry Foster
Websites of interest to Rotarians
Rotary International: The RI home page has links to About Rotary, The Rotary Foundation, Club Locator and Member Access. Our Club is in Zone 29. The zone has 17 districts and covers portions of Maryland, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Ontario.
District 6380. Our district’s website includes 51 clubs in the counties of Washtenaw, Livingston, Oakland and Macomb in Michigan and Kent in Ontario. The district’s monthly newsletter and articles of district-wide interest are posted there.
Rotary Club of Ann Arbor: Our Club’s website provides background material and information including the current Annual Report, Active Framework (aka Strategic Plan), New Member Nomination Form, Committee Descriptions, Club and Golf Outing brochures, synopses of upcoming programs and an archive of Harpoons. Find us on Facebook.
Submit news, committee meetings, and announcements to the Harpoon, the newsletter of the Rotary Club of Ann Arbor. Contact the Club to subscribe by email.
Our Club also sponsors the following Rotaract and Interact Clubs:
“Rotary Serving Humanity”