RCAA Polio Panel, “Members with Polio Experiences”
October 21, 2020, RCAA Regular Meeting on Zoom
Panelists: John Atwater, Tony Derezinski and Lois Jelneck, Moderator: Susan Froelich
A panel of RCAA members, a doctor, a nurse and a family member, discuss their experiences with polio
This year, due to COVID-19, we can’t fundraise in person, but all donations are still matched 2 for 1 by the Gates Foundation. So, if you give $20 it will be matched with $40 from the Gates Foundation! Please consider giving to the Rotary Polio efforts the amount you might have spent on a lunch, or more than one lunch? With COVID in our lives we have missed 33 lunches together! CLICK HERE and make your donation of what you might have spent on one or more lunches today to support this great cause! (At the donation page, select option 2 and indicate “Polio” in the remarks field.)
- Oberlin College,
- Yale Medical School and Pediatric internship,
- USPHS active duty two years, reserves 38 yrs.
- John Hopkins School of Public Health Masters and Doctor of Public Health,
- City Health Officer, Trenton NJ, 1960-62
- Health Officer, New Haven, CT, 1962-73
- County Health Officer Washtenaw, 1973-89 and Adjunct Professor of Public Health, UM School of Public Health,
- Christian Medical College, Vellore, India, 1990-91,
- United Nations volunteer, Sierra Leone, 1992-94
- Married to Leah, has three sons, six grand-children and 6 great-grandchildren
- Originally from Muskegon, MI and earned his first degree from Marquette University.
- Juris Doctorate from UM Law School, Masters of Law from Harvard University
- Practiced with several law firms over 30 years.
- 1974 Served as a State Senator from Muskegon for the State of Michigan.
- 1985 moved to Ann Arbor to become General Counsel & VP for Government Relations for Sisters of Mercy Health Corporation.
- Law professor at Cooley Law School in East Lansing, MI.
- Director of Government Relations for Michigan Association of School Boards
- Served for 2 terms on Ann Arbor City Council
- Regent for EMU for 14 years.
- Married to Katy, has one son who is a reporter for the Wall Street Journal & lives with his wife and Tony’s granddaughter in NYC
- Tony is a life member of the Harley Owners Group (HOG)
- Grew up in Toluca, Illinois.
- RN from Milwaukee Lutheran Hospital and BA from Wartburg College
- Started her nursing career in Milwaukee, General Surgery
- In 1952 moved to Ann Arbor and continued her nursing career at UM Hospital
- Lois has served as a nurse in the UM Thoracic Surgery, Respirator Center, Rehabilitation Center, Urology, Dermatology and Oncology;
- Office Nurse, Dept. of Dermatology, U of M
- Staff Nurse: Oral Surgery Dept., School of Dentistry, Upjohn Center for Clinical Pharmacology, Kelly Health Services, Glacier Hills Nursing Care Facility
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, Practice of Dr. Catherine J. Carroll/Dr. A.C. Elkins
- Vice President and Supervisory Nurse, Individualized Home Nursing Care, Inc.
- Hospice, home care and private duty nursing
- Summer Camp Nurse for Ann Arbor Y Camps at Camp Takona & Camp Al-Gon-Quian
- Michigan District Representative to India, Woman to Woman Exchange Program
- American Lutheran Church Representative on Lutheran World Relief Study Tour, West Africa
- Secretry, Vice President and President of Church Council at Zion Lutheran Church
- President of Zonta Club of Ann Arbor, Delegate to Zonta Conventions in Germany and Australia
- Has two daughters, three stepchildren and eleven grandchildren.
If you are not a member and would like an invitation to this meeting, please email Lori at email@example.com