The Ann Arbor Rotary Club prides itself on the quality of its speaker program. One of the reasons that we are able to get such great speakers is because we get great recommendations. We are continually looking for recommendations on a variety of subjects and issues, and both members and non-members are potential candidates.
Before you make a recommendation, however, keep in mind that it is club policy that :
- No person who is a candidate for political office may be invited or permitted to address the Club; and
- No member, speaker, guest or other person or organization shall sell products, tickets, solicit donations or otherwise engage in overt fundraising activities directed to Club members.
The Program Committee evaluates speaker recommendations at their monthly meeting, which is held every third Wednesday of the month at 11:00 am, just before the regular meeting. If a recommendation is accepted, then that speaker is assigned a committee contact person, whose job it is to follow up with the speaker and recommender and determine when the speaker is able to address the club. If a recommendation is declined, then the Program Committee chair notifies the recommender that his or her recommendation was declined.
Finding acceptable dates for accepted speakers can be difficult, and generally, speakers are scheduled anywhere from three to six months* in advance. Firm dates for future programs can only be assigned by the Committee Chair, and no member should make a commitment to a proposed speaker until notified of a date by the Committee.
*From time to time, the program committee has programs scheduled over six months in advance. It is the practice of the committee to not schedule more than six months into the future. As of April 19, 2019, we are scheduled through November 2019 if there are no cancellations. Also, it is quite possible that we will not have next scheduling until early 2020. The Program Committee will resume scheduling committee approved speakers in July 2019.
- Be as specific as possible about the proposed title of the presentation and be as specific as possible what the presentation will cover.
- Emphasize why you think this topic is important and why our club members will be interested in the presentation.
- Be as specific as possible about the recommended speaker’s organization and position and supply as much background information as you can. The committee will use this information to determine how well-qualified the proposed speaker is to speak on this topic.