Club History: Membership Growth and Club Resolutions

During the years 1916 to 1947, Club membership grew from the original fifteen to 132 active and four honorary members. On average, ten new names were added each year to the roles with about half that number lost due to death or resignation. Time, circumstance and the 1988 inclusion of exceptional local women to Rotary have played a role in following years to establish current Club membership. As of November 20th, 2015, there are 326 active, five honorary, and five inactive emeritus members. These facts generally rank the Club in the top .1% of the 35,114 Rotary Clubs worldwide.

Throughout the years the Club has maintained its policy of not interfering in governmental matters. However, three early resolutions reveal a departure from that practice. By formal vote in December of 1922, the Club adopted a resolution expressing agreement with President Harding over his concern of the disrespect shown by the American public toward the Prohibition Amendment. The Club was in accord with the government to secure “a deeper respect for constituted authority, for the Constitution, and for the laws enacted thereunder.” Shortly thereafter another resolution was passed denouncing the drunken and rowdy behavior that had been exhibited by some Rotarians at the recent District Conference in Flint, Michigan. The Club called upon the District Governor to use his position to prevent further sleepless nights for our Club members at any future meetings. Lastly, in April of 1923, a letter of protest was sent to the District Governor and all Clubs in the 18th District urging defeat of a proposal to tax every Rotarian in North America fifty cents to help defray the overhead expense at the annual convention.